Lab-Band Weight Loss

VSG Weight Loss

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Restriction - so confused! Help!

Until yesterday I felt that I had a perfect level of restriction but now I am confused.

  • Portion size: I can eat 3/4-1 cup of food or less per meal (depending on the consistency of the food)
  • I am satisfied for 5 hours after I ate, on Tuesday I went 7.5 hours without food (only had an oatmeal for breakfast) and was not hungry at all.
  • I can drink thin liquids such as water, coffee, tea without any kind of restriction and I can drink them as fast as I like to
  • I am not hungry nor do I have an appetite
  • I have lost 5 pounds in one week since I got my first fill
So this sounds to me the way the band is suppose to work... but I am not sure any longer... because the info on Lapbandtalk is confusing at times.

I read on Lapbandtalk that some bandsters suggest that you should even feel a restriction when drinking water and to be able to bring it up even 20 minutes after you drank it. This sounds pretty disgusting and is not something I need to experience, do I? Others suggest that you should only be able to eat 1/4 to 1/2 of a cup of food and others even mention that you should only eat a couple of spoons per serving.

So what does restriction really mean? Does it mean that you limit your food intake to a couple of spoons per serving and to be satisfied with, lets say 4 spoons of oatmeal for 5-6 hours? Does it mean that even thin liquids sit in your pouch, or if you drink a lot in your throat and you have to feel that it goes down slowly? As written in my earlier post my "full" feeling changed. With the fill I have never felt that I stuffed myself... stuffed like after you ate a Thanksgiving Dinner for example... I have never reached that point... only when I got stuck. Am I suppose to feel that way? I put the amount of food on my plate that equals 2 decks of cards and I sometimes finish it and sometimes don't... again... depending on the consistency of the food. I stop when I am satisfied, the food just doesn't taste anymore and I get a signal that it has been enough so I stop and it satisfies me for many hours... it does not require any will-power!

My surgeon only told me that I should come in for my next fill as soon as I can eat more food than the size of 2 decks of cards. But what does "can eat" really mean...? Is there a point that you just cannot eat no more because you are too full? Do you experience this kind of "full"? I do not push myself to that limit and just stop when I had enough and do not feel any hunger... 

I am really confused and would like to hear from you how you feel restriction and what full means to you and especially if you feel restricted while drinking water or tea.


12 comments:

  1. I think it sounds like you are doing GREAT! If you went and got more fluid in, yo may become too restricted and be miserable. I think you are at your sweet spot, especially since you seem happy with where you are and have lost 5 lbs in one week! Keep up the good work!

    http://lap2daygone2mrw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish I had that kind of restriction. I can eat 2 cups or more, no problem, and hungry 3 hours later, if not earlier. In other words, exactly the same as before, with 4 ccs in my 10 cc band. Wahhhhh.

    You sound perfect to me. As I understand it, losing weight and not being hungry are the most important things about being at your sweet spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would really like to punch the person in the face who coined the term "sweet spot". I think "the sweet spot" is a myth. Chances are, you are still healing from the band placement and it's likely that your stomach is still a tad swollen. I felt what I thought was restriction after my band was placed and after my first fill. As time went on, the swelling went away and that feeling went away also. To answer your question, YES there is a point that you physically will not be able to eat any more. It's a bizzare and uncomfortable feeling. Also, my doctor explained that the initial weight loss comes from the fat around our organs, so your band will loosen as you lose weight simply because the fat between the stomach and the band is going away. This is why I don't believe in the sweet spot since that fat goes away concurrently with all other weight loss. Basically, what works for you today, may not neccesarily be what works tomorrow because your body is always changing. Congrats on the weight loss, and welcome to the journey. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a band, so I can't speak from experience, but from what I've read I think that everyone is different. It sounds like you're doing great, and based on what I learned from my dr., you have good restriction. I think that some people prefer to be extra tight and only be able to eat a few bites of food, but that's their preference. Similar to what Melly said, I had a 10 year bandster tell me earlier in the week that there is no such thing as a sweet spot. You can get it close, then you just have to work with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not been banded as yet either, so I can't give you any advice on this, but I do want to say....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were banded around the same time, I had my first fill 10 days ago as well, and I can eat basically a 'normal' meal. Much smaller than I would have previously, but at this point I'd say I have no real restriction per se (hence why I moved my fill #2 date up by 2 weeks!) Honestly, I only WISH I felt the same way you describe... right now it kinda feels like I never had surgery at all, and that scares me.

    I agree with everyone else, that each person's experience is different. As far as I have been told, ALL liquids should go down with NO problem whatsoever - in fact in my clinic they make you drink a glass of water after every fill to be sure there is no restriction on liquids.

    What can I say, this is a confusing experience for all of us. I think you're doing great and I've really been enjoying your posts. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel exactly that same as you do...can eat at least a cup and most likely more if I tried....I am trying to limit myself.
    I can't wait for fill # 2....I don't want to be too tight , but like Gen I would like some restriction!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there you are doing great. You may be at your sweet spot. I wish I felt like that. Big word of advice. You can't believe or go by everything on the lapbandtalk because everyone is different. Your body will respond differently also. You have to listen to your body. If you are satisfied and not having any problems. It's okay that mean you are doing fine and your band is working very well. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I agree that everyone is different. I just feel that I am having my momentum right now and I am so highly motivated that I need to use my motivation for my benefit.

    I guess it is natural that you compare yourself to others and when I read that others experience their full feeling very different than I do then it makes me wonder.

    So far it is working for me but unfortunately my scale is bitching around again. Will blog about it separately.

    Thank you very much for your great answers, you really answered all the questions and doubts I had and I am feeling much better now.

    :-X

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am 5 weeks post op with 3cc on my first fill and feel that I can eat with very little restriction. Although I can eat I am never hungry its weird but I too feel as if I never had surgery

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was banded in Oct, 2008. I had many fills in the first year I lost a total of 50 lbs. I hit a platue and was able to eat large dinner meals like before. I didn't gain weight but I wase'nt loosing it either. I just had another fill and I am at an 8 on a 10 cc band. good restriction and loosing again. The main key to loosing weight is without a doubt eat protein if you don't you won't loose.
    Good Luck and GOD Bless!

    ReplyDelete